Welcome to today’s show!
WHAT WE’LL LEARN:
- How Ian Hamilton’s upbringing as a preacher’s kid (Dad was an Evangelical Preacher) led to him eventually becoming an Agnostic
- How Ian Hamilton felt a “loss” in the religious community when he turned away from religion and how he feels about it now
- How his upbringing and his training as a Psychiatric Nurse informed his decision to pursue drug addiction research and treatment
- How Adina compares Ian Hamilton’s work to Dr. Gabor Mate’
- Why Ian Hamilton decided to write his article in response to the UK government report in the British Medical Journal (BMJ)
- Ian’s article focuses on: the rise in prescription drugs, the length of time people stay on these drugs, and how geographic areas are linked to the amount of drugs that are prescribed.
- How the pharmaceutical company is not doing their due diligence
- How do you distinguish between which symptoms are due to dependence on the pills and which are symptoms of Mental Health?
- What are the concerns patients raised due to their experience with antidepressants
- Why Ian feels we rely too much on randomized control studies and not the concerns voiced by the thousands of people taking the drugs
- What we as clinicians and medical professionals can do to help our clients or patients
- How diagnosing Mental Health is complex and related to more than just your biochemistry. It is more than your genetic predisposition
- Why Ian feels hopeful about the future of addiction recovery
For more info, head over to atheistsinrecovery.com and subscribe to our email list. And thank you for listening!
- Leave an honest review on ITUNES. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on ITUNES
- Download a Transcript here